Sunday, February 28, 2021

[Review] The Anonymous Source by A.C. Fuller

Title: The Anonymous Source
Series: Alex Vane #1
Author: A.C. Fuller
Genre: general fiction (adult), thriller, mystery, suspense, crime
Format: audiobook
Publication Date: February 23 2021 (audiobook)
Published By: OrangeSky Audio (audiobook)
Source: NetGalley

Synopsis from Publisher
FIND THE SOURCE. BREAK THE STORY. STAY ALIVE.

ONE YEAR AFTER the 9/11 attacks, Alex Vane--a brilliant, fitness-obsessed reporter for The New York Standard--wants nothing more than to break into the flashy world of TV news. But when he uncovers the scoop of a lifetime, his tightly controlled world is rocked: his editor buries his story, a source turns up dead, and Alex finds himself at the center of a violent media conspiracy.

AS HE RECEIVES TIPS from a mysterious source, Alex enlists the help of a captivating professor, Camila Gray. Aided by an Internet genius, a billionaire's sexy widow, and a washed-up sports reporter, Alex and Camila discover a $500-million secret that could derail the largest media merger in history.

IT'S A SECRET THAT unearths dark memories from Alex's past. It's a secret that leads back to the morning of 9/11. And it's a secret that could get them both killed.

IN HIS DEBUT MEDIA THRILLER, A.C. Fuller brings you a young journalist chasing the biggest story of his career--from the courtrooms of New York City to the beaches of Hawaii, from a crowded newsroom to a lavish boardroom at the top of a media empire.

About A.C. Fuller
Once a journalist in New York, A.C. Fuller now writes stories at the intersection of media, politics, and technology. Before he began writing full time, he was an adjunct professor of journalism at NYU and an English teacher at Northwest Indian College.

He lives with his wife, two children, and two dogs near Seattle. 
My Thoughts:
I am not typically a mystery/suspense/crime thriller kind of girl, but something about this book's description pulled me in. I do like to push outside of my boundaries now and then, and I find that even easier to do when it's an audiobook and I don't have to "fight" my way through the actual reading of it. I think the 9/11 aspect tied in with conspiracy theories idea is what really intrigued me. And boy was I right to chose this one!

Alex Vane is an interesting character who is fully fleshed out and has a somewhat complicated past. I love how much his food and fitness was part of the story, because it was part of what made him who he was. He reminds me of myself in some small ways, specifically they way of eating, and the way others look at you when you eat that way (healthy foods, lower carbs, etc.) There is also a part in the book where he is having some emotional issues and he all of a sudden starts binging on unhealthier foods. This is very true to character for a person who has gone through the whole dieting aspect and then hit a low and binged. I was very happy with how accurate certain portrayals were.

I also liked the character of Camilla. She was just as complex as Alex, maybe even more so. Both characters had some issues involving their parents, and again, they were very real with how they were portrayed and how they worked through those issues. Even the side characters are very realistic. Everyone has their own story and motives, etc., they are not there just to advance the story.

But the story, oh my the story! It was so interesting and had so many twists and turns, and that ending? Damn! I am just going to say I am intrigued enough to want to carry on with the rest of the story, and since it's available on Audible I might just have to hook that up sooner rather than later!

What to say about the story itself? It was so crazy with the twists and turns, the motivations, the whys... I honestly don't know what to say without giving things away, and this book needs to be experienced. I do have to say it is a little slow at first as it builds up the story (this is why I rated it 4 instead of 5) , but once the action starts going it never stops. 

The narrator, Joe Hempel, did an amazing job with this audiobook. His use of different voices for different characters was spot on, and he always was able to emphasize the given emotions needed for each individual scene. I had no trouble listening to his smooth voice for the duration of the almost 10 hour audiobook. On Audible he has over 18 pages of books he has narrated, including all 5 of the Alex Vane series. I look forward to exploring more.

The Pros:

  • The characters are fully fleshed out and believable, even the side characters. I loved them all!
  • The story was so full of twists and turns and characters it kept me intrigued right until the end.
  • The narrator was amazing.
The Cons:
  • A little too slow in the beginning as things build up.

0 scribble backs:

Post a Comment