One of my favourite book series to read growing up was The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley. I was so obsessed with them that I would ofter pretend I had my own horse and I would ride him everywhere. That's right...I didn't have an imaginary friend...I had an imaginary horse!
I decided I would like to recreate those good old days by doing a reread of The Black Stallion series, and I also decided I wanted to spread that joy I felt when I was younger around to as many others as I could. (I'm even trying to get my teenage son to read along!)
Hence, the 2012 Black Stallion Reading Challenge was born!
I don't expect everyone to be able to get through the entire series, so I have broken the challenge down into levels:
21-24 (That's the whole complete original Black Stallion series!)
25-30 (Including the newer Young Black Stallion series by Steven Farley.)
The books should be read between January 1st and December 31st 2012. My goal is to read at least one a month, so I will be posting a wrap-up post at the end of every month and I welcome you to post your updates in the comments and let us know where you stand.
Prizes will be based on levels (amount of books) read. Please be honest!
RandomHouse Canada has graciously agreed to offer up some wonderful prizes including books and RandomHouse swag such as mugs, pens, bookmarks, etc. More details about exactly what prizes are available and how the system works will be added later. My goal is to get at least a bookmark or pen to every person who reads at least one of these fabulous novels in 2012. Right now let's get everyone signed up! Leave a comment below and let everyone know you are participating!
I have created a Goodreads Group for people interested in participating in the challenge. You don't have to have a blog, just a Goodreads account! So please join up and answer the poll stating how many of the books you think you are going to read. If you have a blog I would appreciate you using the image and code below to show your support, and make sure to tell all your friends!
Tim Farley, Walter Farley's son, runs the official Black Stallion site and he is super excited about this challenge as well! He will be posting about it on his site to help spread the word. Make sure to take the time to pop over there and check out his blog, store, and message forums all about The Black Stallion!
Here is a complete list of the books for this challenge:
These are the books written by Walter Farley, although The Young Black Stallion was co-written by Farley's son, Steven Farley. Steven Farley continued The Young Black Stallion series, about the Black's early years, and has written four Black Stallion novels, which are included at the end of the list.
Books are available at Chapters, Amazon, The Book Depository, and now they are also available for your e-reader! I just picked up a whole ton of them for my Kobo at kobobooks.com! Of course the local library is always an option as well.
The Black Stallion Series
1. The Young Black Stallion (1989)(Prequel)
2. The Black Stallion (1941)
3. The Black Stallion Returns (1945)
4. Son of the Black Stallion (1947)
5. The Island Stallion (1948)
6. The Black Stallion and Satan (1949)
7. The Blood Bay Colt (1951)
8. The Island Stallion's Fury (1951)
9. The Black Stallion's Filly (1952)
10. The Black Stallion Revolts (1953)
11. The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (1954)
12. The Island Stallion Races (1955)
13. The Black Stallion's Courage (1956)
14. The Black Stallion Mystery (1957)
15. The Horse Tamer (1958)
16. The Black Stallion and Flame (1960)
17. The Black Stallion Challenged (1964)
18. The Black Stallion's Ghost (1969)
19. The Black Stallion and the Girl (1971)
20. The Black Stallion Legend (1983)
21. The Black Stallion’s Shadow (1996)
22. The Black Stallion’s Steeplechaser (1997)
23. The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (2008)
24. The Black Stallion and the Lost City (2011)
The Young Black Stallion Series
1 The Promise (1998)
2 A Horse Called Raven (1998)
3 The Homecoming (1999)
4 Wild Spirit (1999)
5 The Yearling (1999)
6 Hard Lessons (1999)