I somehow managed to stumble upon this post for a read-along challenge of a series I had not heard of before. Since my extreme success of discovering The Soul Screamers series through a similar challenge I figured what the heck!
So I jumped right in and purchased an e-copy of the first book in this series, First Grave on the Right, and immediately started reading it. It feels a little like Dead Like Me meets Anita Blake meets Soul Screamers. I am really enjoying it! It's a little more "adult" than I expected...but I certainly don't have a problem with that! Check out this quote to see what I mean!
The room seemed cold now, probably because I'd just had a near-sex experience with a blazing inferno. ~Chapter SixHilarious and hot! The scene leading up to this quote is too hot to share here! You have to read it yourself for the juicy goodness!
For week one we were challenged to read chapters 1-5 of First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones and answer the following questions, one for each chapter.
1. Ch 1 – We meet some of Charley’s ghostly “buddies,” do you believe you have ever had a ghostly encounter?I believe I have had several ghostly encounters over my life. My first one occurred when I was very young after we had to put my first cat to sleep due to illness. I still swear to this day she slept on my bed in her normal spot every night until I finally got a new cat.
2. Ch 2 – Charley named her jeep Misery. Have you ever named your vehicles? What did you name them?
3. Ch 3 – Charley says her name “…brooks no opposition. It takes shit from no one.” What do you think your name says about you to strangers? Is there a different name that you think would suit you better?Gwenyth Love is actually the name I chose for myself, it's not my birth name. I love it. I think it's beautiful, mysterious, and unique...just like me.
4. Ch 4 – Charley says her best friend Cookie is “like Kramer from Seinfeld, only not so nervous, like Kramer might have been on Prozac.” Give us your best description of your best friend. How would they would describe you?I'm not extremely close to many people, but my best friend, Kayla, it basically my younger mirror image. It's almost like talking to myself when I talk to her, which is why we get along so well! Of course...it is quite possible I am actually talking to myself...which could be an entirely different story all together...
5. Ch 5 – Garrett is reluctant to believe in Charley’s abilities, how would you react if a friend divulged to you that they can see and speak with the dead?Honestly, I have read so many books, and I'm so weird myself that I would probably totally believe it. I would ask for some proof, but it wouldn't take much. Most likely because I am one of those people who WANT to believe.