Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Time Has Come...


...for me to finally get serious about writing.

I always tell people I'm a writer. I mean I used to write. I have a few stories published. I've won a writing contest or two.

But...and it's a big but (no I din't say big butt!) I haven't done any serious writing for a really long time. That's about to change.

I have this great story idea eating away at my brain, gnawing constantly like a puppy attacking his first BBQ smoked cow bone from the butcher. It's begging me to write it. I really don't care if it ever sells, if anyone else likes it, or if all the naysayers tell me it's a crappy idea.

I want to write if for me because it will make me happy, and it wants to be told. That in itself is a big flashing neon sign to me.

You are a writer.

Now write! Dumbass!

So I started reading some writing books to knock some sense back into me and get me back on track.

Currently Reading:

Book In A Month Fool Proof System For Writing A Novel In 30 Days by Victoria Lynn Schmidt

This is an interesting read so far. I don't for one millisecond think I can write a book in a month. That's not what it's about for me. For me it's just about writing. Every day you are given a task to do to help you reach your goal of completing your novel. I am have read up to the end of the first week already and am impressed by the types of tasks that are given to you.

This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley

A very short book pointing out (in very little detail) things to be aware of when writing. No tasks seem to be available.

I hope to be able to use this Blog specifically for my writing related posts as well as reviews of both non-fiction writing books and fiction books I both enjoy, and dislike. As they say, read what you want to write!

I hope you enjoy reading along. Also, feel free to share writing tips, writing books, and fiction books you think I might enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. The worksheets in that book are great! I've also been using First Draft in 30 Days. All Freelance Writing does a comparison of the two: http://tinyurl.com/yacqwhb

    Now write! Dumbass! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check that out! Thanks! I also like the Weekend Novelist book...it's always been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete